Saturday, February 13, 2010

Clearly, the apple does fall QUITE far from the tree.

I have learned, over the years, that I have many talents. I can write (obviously), I can teach kids to read, I can play the piano, I can swing dance. But what I cannot do, is bake. Specifically cakes.



I realized my ridiculously lack of skill the other week when I brilliantly thought of baking an ice cream cake for my friend's birthday party. (Yeah. I've...never....baked a cake before. ) I can bake other things (cookies, brownies, bread) without a problem, so I figured that, coupled with REALLY GOOD genes (my mom used to cater for a bakery) would ensure the success of an fantastic ice cream cake.




No.






Clearly, I received absolutely NONE of the "spectacular baking skills"genes.



So for a late New Year's Resolution, I decided that I am going to become better at baking cakes. (Notice how I am making my goal VAGUE yet ATTAINABLE. I just want to be able to bake the cake, throw some icing on it and have it taste good. I'm not trying to be the next Ace of Cakes, trust me.)



My goal is to bake a different cake every week, just to get the hang of baking and frosting it. And I plan on using a boxed cake mix. Every week. Don't judge.


So, in order to pull this cake baking challenge. I need your help. I need recipes! I need ideas!!


What's your favorite cake recipe?





Finished Ice Cream Cake. (Yes, it is frosted with REAL ice cream. Yes Mom, that is champagne in the background!)


1 comment:

  1. "Vague yet attainable."

    Love this phrase. Cakes are definitely a challenge at times. However, I'm so used to making everything either 1) gluten-free 2) vegan or 3) both, all with really really strange unprocessed sugar, agave, or honey (because that is all my parents buy) so an ordinary cake with frosting (ice cream or buttercream) seems completely foreign to me.

    Or I'd have a panic attack after having eaten a piece of normal cake because of the wholeness of the creation...no gluten, dairy products, or normal sugar missing...

    ReplyDelete