Wednesday, March 9, 2011

So, What DO you eat?

Wednesdays are my favorite days. I usually spend Wednesday evening preparing my meal plan and grocery list for the next week. So, due to popular demand, I will now be posting my weekly planned recipes!



To everyone who doesn't care about what I eat, please remember to read other awesome blogs out there on Wednesdays. Or you can complain about how boring and tasteless my meals will be.

Generally, I make my plan on Wednesday, grocery shop on Saturday, prep on Sunday, and start my week of cooking on Monday. I also have decided that I can only eat two days worth of the same meal. THAT'S IT. I cannot cook once and eat a meal for a week I WILL DIE. But, I really like leftovers for lunch, so you'll probably see a lot of that going on.


Next week's meals are as follows (Check out the links!):

Monday:
Dinner: Paleo Chicken Dive-In (Paleo-ized Chicken Divan- YUMMMMM!)
My good friend Carrie posted this link this week and I seriously CANNOT WAIT to make this. It's going to be amazing. No, you are not invited to dinner. Sorry. Next week, maybe. :)



Tuesday:
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with spinach and salsa and a side of bacon.
I eat eggs every morning for breakfast. Usually scrambled with some sort of vegetable and salsa. Well, that is the plan at least for this week. I'm also trying to EAT MORE VEGETABLES, hence the veggies with my eggs.
Lunch: Leftover Chicken Divan
Dinner: Pork Roast with Rosemary and Garlic with Mashed Cauliflower (DO. NOT. KNOCK. IT. UNTIL. YOU. TRY. IT. It's amazing! All of the awesome flavor of mashed potatoes, with none of the inflammation or insulin spikes! YUM.) and Green Beans.
This is one of my favorite roast recipes. I like to cut slits in the roast and stuff chunks of garlic inside. SO GOOD.


Wednesday
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with spinach and salsa and a side of bacon.
Lunch: Pork Roast with Rosemary and Garlic with Mashed Cauliflower and Green beans
Dinner: Pizza. The BEST PALEO PIZZA YOU WILL EVER PUT IN YOUR MOUTH. I PROMISE. It's got all the flavor with none of the poison.

Thursday
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with peppers and onions and salsa and a side of bacon.
Lunch: Leftover pizza. Don't judge.
Dinner: Roasted Chicken with Beer. I've never made this before and I am really excited to see how it turns out! This classic Italian recipe is below:


Roasted chicken with beer (Pollo alla birra)
3 1/2- to 4-pound roasting chicken
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 medium onions, peeled, quartered through the root
1 large carrot, peeled, halved crosswise and quartered lengthwise (about 4 ounces)
2 medium parsnips, peeled, halved crosswise and quartered lengthwise (about 4 ounces)
2 tablespoon fresh sage leaves
4 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 1/2 cups light stock (chicken, turkey, or vegetable broth) or water
1 1/2 cups (one 12-ounce bottle) flavorful beer or ale (Lidia says her favorite is pale ale)
1 cup apple cider, preferably unfiltered


Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400 degrees. Trim excess fat from the chicken, and season it inside and out with 1 teaspoon of the salt. Scatter the onions, carrot, parsnips, sage, cloves and cinnamon stick in the pot, sprinkle over this the rest of the salt, and set the chicken on top of the vegetables. Put the pot on the stove, pour in the stock, beer, and apple cider, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes on top of the stove. Put the pot in the oven, and roast the chicken for about 30 minutes, basting with the pan juices two or three times. Cover the chicken with a sheet of aluminum foil to prevent overbrowning, and roast another 30 minutes. Remove the foil, and roast another 20 to 30 minutes, basting frequently, until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through and tender. Remove the chicken to a warm platter and surround with the vegetables. Bring the pan juices to a boil on top of the stove, and cook until reduced by half. Carve the chicken at the table, and spoon the pan juices on top. Makes 6 servings.


Friday
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with peppers and onions and salsa and a side of bacon.
Lunch: Chicken Salad with veggies
Dinner: Leftover Roasted Chicken with Veggies


Saturday
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with peppers and onions and salsa and a side of bacon.
Lunch: Tuna Salad with Homemade Mayo
Dinner: Beef Rolls with veggies. Recipe Below. Imma have to do something about that flour....I'll probably just omit it.


Beef Rolls with Mustard and Vegetables  serves: 6 servings
2½ pound boneless bottom-round rump roast
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons German style mustard
2 large stalks celery, cut in 2x4 inch sticks
2 medium carrots, cut in 2x4 inch sticks
12 small dill pickles, (about 2 inches long)
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 large onion, sliced (about 2 cups)
2 bay leaves, preferably fresh
1 cup white wine
4 cups light stock, (chicken, turkey, or vegetable broth)

Lay one hand open on the top of the roast to hold it in place. With a sharp chef 's knife, begin slicing the meat on a slant, cutting across the grain, and continue with parallel angled cuts every 1/2 inch or so, slicing the meat chunk into a dozen thin scallops. As you slice, press down lightly with your top hand, creating resistance, so you can feel the blade moving and keep the slices evenly thick.
Flatten the slices into scallops one at a time. Place each one between sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap and pound it with the toothed face of a meat mallet, tenderizing and spreading it into a narrow oval, about 6 by 3 inches. When all are pounded, season the scallops with salt, about 1/2 teaspoon in all, and spread a thin layer of mustard on the top surfaces.
Starting at the short end of each scallop, pile three celery sticks, three carrot sticks, and a pickle in a bundle. Roll up the meat, enclosing the vegetables, and secure it with toothpicks. When all the rolls are formed, season with the remaining salt. Spread the flour on a plate, and dredge the involtini, lightly coating them.
Pour the olive oil in the pan, and set it over medium-high heat. Shake excess flour from the rolls, lay them in the pan in one layer, and cook, rotating and moving them around, until browned all over. Push the rolls to the side of the pan, and scatter the onion slices and any remaining carrot and celery sticks on the pan bottom. Drop in the bay leaves, and cook the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until they're beginning to brown and soften, about 5 minutes.
Turn the heat to high, pour in the white wine, and let it heat and bubble until almost completely evaporated. Pour in just enough broth to cover the involtini, and bring it to a boil. Set the cover ajar, and adjust the heat to keep the liquid simmering. Cook for an hour and 15 minutes, or until the beef is tender and the sauce has reduced to a consistency you like.Turn off the heat, take out the toothpicks, and remove the involtini to a warm platter. Ladle some of the pan sauce over the involtini, pour the rest into a bowl for passing at the table, and serve while hot.


Sunday
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with whatever leftover veggies I can find in my fridge and salsa and a side of bacon.
Lunch: Leftover beef rolls with veggies
Dinner: Leftover crab stuffed salmon that I froze. SO. GOOD.

3 comments:

  1. Ambitious. Sounds great. Have me over some time and I'll help you eat it.

    I grew up in a family of 6 children (I'm the eldest), and working kitchen duty was a chore you got dumped with and tried to avoid, not a pleasure . . . I'm afraid that 10 years after leaving home for college, grad school, and living abroad, I'm still not over that. Unless I'm cooking for an army, I usually could care less what I prepare. Something I can make in 15 mins or less is best. I'm only eating it myself, and I'm usually so dead tired after working 2 jobs . . . Kinda takes the pleasure out of it for me . . . Especially since there's no social component of 5 clamoring (sp.?) siblings plus friends to share it with. Eating (and cooking) is much more fun when you've got folks to talk to--at least it is to me, anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Thanks! I do feel rather ambitious on Wednesday evenings....Monday nights, after work, not so much.

    Thank the Lord for leftovers!


    I couldn't agree with you more, though. I often hate cooking for just myself. It's a lot of work to do after spending all day answering ridiculous questions and the library....But, I also like to EAT GOOD FOOD. So, that is motivation for me to cook! Also, I'd like to think that one day I will win my future husband's heart with my incredible kitchen prowess.

    Probably not. But a girl can hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I am using Beef Rolls with Mustard and Vegetables! Sounds great1 I to plan a weeks worth of recipes but I do mine on Tues.

    ReplyDelete